SailNet Community - View Single Post - Broker ethics question
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2007

cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough cardiacpaul is a jewel in the rough
I don't have to 'work with' anyone except the person writing my check. my only responsiblity is to the seaworthiness of a particular vessel.

That being said, some brokers spit my name, if they mention me at all and some would buy me a beer if I drank. I find the ones that don't like me much are usually the ones that don't know what they are selling, or are a little less than forthcoming if they do have a clue.

Hey, everyone has to earn a living, and I don't begrudge anyone for doing what they have to.

But one of the only things that makes me bark like that womans dawgs, is a person trying to pull the wool over anothers eyes... pisses me right off. I'm not the nicest guy in the marina at that point.

Te little pond I'm on, theres a marina that has a "resident" surveyor..(literally) He gets ALL of that marinas' business and theres not a boat there he doesn't like. And He's not a bad surveyor! That particular brokerage doesn't like "outside people snooping around" (quote from sales manager to a prospective buyer)...ok, no sweat off my neck, my give a sh** factor" is pretty low to begin with

Anyway, some surveyors are their own worst enemy. I've seen some reports that include loose curtain brackets (and they were velcro!).. some will put down every nit-picky mud dauber nest in an effort to fill a page.

In short, if a broker "won't work" with a surveyor, ask the broker and the surveyor as to why... Ask to see some sample reports from the surveyor. Ask at other marinas about the rep of both parties.

If the brokers an ass, find another boat and tell the owners they lost a sale because of it. If the surveyors an anal retentive twit that is more interested in the size of the report than the condition of the boat, find another surveyor.

Some people are like slinkies: not really good for anything... but you can't help laughing when you push them down the stairs

Last edited by cardiacpaul; 03-10-2007 at 08:43 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook