SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Monohull versus Multihull

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbound View Post
Paulo- ... I made the same decision as you for day to day cruising unless you're always going to be in shoal waters a mono makes more sense for folks like us. You talk about voyaging. It's interesting to see how many prior monohull voyagers make the switch to multihulls. They must have something going for them. The ability to stay afloat for one and fast passages for another. Whole new learning curve and I'm an old dog.
Out, I think you did not really understood me. Probably if I had the money for it I would be cruising on a trimaran. For me the Dragonfly 35 would be enough, not to my wife and I would need a bigger one that does not even exist (it exists a Dragonfly 40 but its is old and slow). The new 40 will be probably the next boat on the Dragonfly line. The 35 costs already about as much as your boat so you can imagine how much would cost a 40. That is really why I sail the type of boat I have, a fast 41ft performance cruiser...lack of money and the boat that suits me more regarding my budget.

I mean, the Dragonfly for the type of sailing I do: Coastal cruising with a lot of passages in between in the 4 best months of the year, because if I cruised extensively and lived in the boat permanently I would have an Outremer 5X, assuming I would have the money for it. For living all the time in the boat all that space would be more then welcomed and having a 59ft has fast as a 70ft fast monohull would be irresistible. I guess that I would have to learn hoe to sail conservatively, going at 16K when I could go at 20

Off course, all that I have said previously is true but all is relative and many circumnavigated on Outremer without any problem even if I know at least of one (45ft) that had capsized.

Fact is that big multihuls like the Outremer 5X have in what regards bad weather advantages and disadvantages: They are more uncomfortable in bad weather, they can capsize if too much sail is used but without any sail or just a tiny amount of sail they are much more dificult to capsize than any monohull of the same size or even bigger. They would need a breaking wave twice as bigger (or something like that) than the one that would capsize a monohull of the same size. of course, after being turtle they have the big disadvantage of not getting back to their feet again.

Things are what they are, advantages and disadvantages. The biggest multihull disadvantage for me is their price (fast ones) and the superior price of marinas and maintenance.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 12-10-2013 at 07:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook