SailNet Community - View Single Post - Buying a First 40.7
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2007

sailingguy123 is on a distinguished road
Buying a First 40.7

I was initially considering purchasing the new Beneteau 40, but I contacted a dealer and discovered that it would not be available until August, which would prevent me from using it this summer. I have now focused my attention on the First 40.7 and was wondering if the first series boats were more difficult to sail than the number series.

Also, someone told me that in-mast furling would be a bad idea for sailing in the Mediterranean. Can someone please explain to me why this is so? I understand that the first series do not come with furling mains, but am curious as to what the answer is because I have friends who use furling mains in the Mediterranean without any serious problems.

I plan on using the boat for coastal cruising around Turkey and possibly a trip to Spain and would like to be able to sail a straight line from Turkey rather than having to go along the coast to save time. Would the boat be capable of doing this type of limited bluewater cruising? One concern is the limited water and fuel storage of the First series. Beneteau does not offer extra water or fuel tanks as a factory option, but has anyone heard of these modifications being made either through a special request to the factory or having third party install them?

My reason for choosing the First rather than a number series is the higher quality of the components and better sailing ability. The crew will most likely be 2-3 people.

One concern I have is the mounting of the traveler right behind the wheel, which obstructs entry into and out of the cockpit. Does anyone have experience with the First boats and know whether this is something you get used to after a while? Currently there are two First 40.7s for sail in Turkey, both 2001 models and both for around $180,000.

I would also welcome any comments about the First series in general, especially from people who have owned them or sailed on them. I have yet to hear about any problems or negative comments about the boats other than their limited water and fuel storage and somewhat cramped interiors compared to the number series.

Thanks for your help.
Sailingguy123
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook