SailNet Community - View Single Post - insurance/survey
View Single Post
post #1 of Old 12-10-2013 Thread Starter
captain jack

insurance/survey

ok. this is about my 'new' cal27. the marina knows the boat so they aren't asking me to get a survey. however, liability insurance is required. they are being really good about working with me but i don't want to push them too far.

the problem, so far, has been the age of the boat. all of the insurance companies, so far, have required a survey. i was going to go with state farm because the price is great and, until today, they didn't say anything about a survey. however, when i went to get the policy started, it came up.

so, here's my problem. i never have carried insurance on a boat, before. i'd only have it now, because i have to. i haven't started calling around but i was told it would probably cost be between $10 and $20, a foot, to get it surveyed. that exceeds the cost of the boat just to have some guy look at it. that's not even a guarantee he wouldn't miss something. i need to buy a motor, yet. and running rigging. and bottom paint ( etc ). and spending $300 to have a guy tell me what i already know....

if i was going to get it surveyed, i'd want to wait til i got done what i know needs done, so he could tell me if i missed anything. but i don't think i will be able to wait, til then, for insurance.

anyhow, so i am looking to see if anyone knows an insurer that isn't going to ask for a survey or a surveyor that isn't going to ask for my right testicle, in payment.
Quote Share with Facebook

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome