SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pearson 35
Thread: Pearson 35
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2002

VIEXILE is on a distinguished road
Pearson 35

See, the thing is, one must find one''s Karma within one''s personal financial situation. I started out 15 years ago looking at Pearson 35''s. Ended up with a Bristol 35 because, well, it presented itself. You''ll find that the majority of these boats have been retrofitted in one way or another to accommodate most of the problems Jeff points to (other than light air performance, but plodding along in zephyrs has never been a problem once you accept your pace). Sea berths are easy to set up. Adding grab rails on the interior of the liner backing the deck grabrails is easy. Not all tables fold down from the bulkhead. I don''t think I saw one on Bristols or Pearsons when I was looking. Larger cockpit drains and deck boxes built to fill the cockpit volume easily eliminate that particular problem. My steering is set well back toward the aft end of the cockpit, although the boat was originally tiller steered. I''m not fond of the small wheel, and might even prefer the tiller. A friend of mine has a beauty of a Pearson 36 for sale, circa 1976. $45,000.00. Problem is, by my calculations, that''s about $20,000 more than the 35 would cost. Given the number of Pearson Coasters, Wanderers, 35''s, Tartan 34''s, etc. out there, the probability that one might run into a qualifying boat under one''s current financial situation coupled with the motivation of a seller and the primary goal of just doing it is fairly high. I bought the hull when I bought my boat and worked outward from there. Now I''m looking at a Tartan 30 project to steal. MAN is there an overall quality difference between the Tartans and Bristol/Pearson lines of the ''70''s. KW
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook