SailNet Community - View Single Post - What ever happened to USyacht?
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2002

ondro is on a distinguished road
What ever happened to USyacht?

I always find it remarkable how those who DO NOT own a specific boat know so much about it. I, however, actually own a US27. Now some of you may say "too bad" but hey, we are all entitled to our own opinion. I too have been on other peoples boats...and have actually repaired other boats - but I know my own vessel the best and I would not claim to be an expert on late 70''s Ericsons or Columbias...or even the Buccaneer. Remember I own a U.S. Yacht.

I do know the history of Bayliner and how they worked on the Bucc for years - then to shed the bad reputation, they hired Peterson to design a racer/cruiser and changed the name to United Sailing Yachts and produced 18 - 30+ foot boats. With the huge success of their "family friendly" ciera and capri power boats - all the sailing production was halted and switched back to power. The molds and specs were sold to Pearson.

This is all history - the fact remains that there are quite a few US Yachts still sailing around the country today and I have yet to talk to - or email any owner that is dissatisfied with the vessels. It seems that all of the bad rap comes from those who believe their boat...or the boat they wish they own, is better than a US Yacht.

I''m not here to argue chopped or roving - or the core material. These things are important - you need to know your own boat. Don''t just listen to other peoples "opinions". If you look hard enough there are a lot of "facts" you can find on the US Yachts. Most of these facts come from the owners of US Yachts.

I bought my boat because that is the boat I wanted - My neighbor at the dock bought his Columbia because that is the boat he wanted. I can sail circles around his boat and I can point much closer to the wind - I have Edson steering and all the other perks that a US27 comes with because "that is what I wanted".

If I wanted to sail the ocean - maybe a Cape Dory would have suited me better. But I sail the Chesapeake Bay. My boat sails well in light air - shes roomy inside - quick upwind - has a great little diesel to help out some days - the 5''2" draft is a bit deep sometimes but the pros of a deep fin outweigh a shoal draft in my book.

You see, its silly to listen only to those who "think" US Yachts are bad boats - these are probably the same people who "think" they own Island Packets....when actually is just a Catalina.

Should I say Catalinas are bad boats - of course not...I don''t own one-how would I "really" know.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook