SailNet Community - View Single Post - Looking into Live Aboard life style and need advice.
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2007

donrr1 is on a distinguished road
I'll be living aboard a 41' boat in the Chesapeake. I haven't read all of the posts in the thread but I did read Cams on the first page, the Chesapeake is the most affordable, most accomodating liveaboard area I have found on the east coast. The northern part of the bay isn't as accomodating to liveaboards as from the Annapolis area and further south. I found one place in Middle River that would allow it and that's all. My slip fees are 266.00 per month, no liveaboard fee, electricity is metered. The marina has a pool, clubhouse, picnic area, gas and diesel fuel dock, pumpout and mechanics on site. It doesn't get much better than that. A 41' boat in NJ has to cost at least $8k in slip fees a year (my guess would be 10k) when an opening comes available in the next couple of years. Things may have changed there, it's been a few years since I inquired. Anyway, being from NE Pa, southern NY and northern NJ would have been my preference but, again, the Chesapeake is much more affordable and accomodating.

Don