SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cheoy Lee Luder's 36
View Single Post
Old 03-12-2007

AA3NK is on a distinguished road
Cheoy Lee Luder's 36

Greetings All!

It has been a few years since I tailed a wench, in most of the meanings you might take from that. It is time, again, to take to the water and I have just acquired a 36 foot 1974 Cheoy Lee, Luders design, sloop rigged.

The boat is on the hard with mast and rigging down so I will take a couple of weeks to clean her up some, put on a fresh bottom, and maybe make the teak look a smidgeon better. The yard folks will step the mast at launching but to be honest, I will not know if it is done correctly or not.

I don't want to make this boating season into a boat refitting period, the vessel will reveal herself and the needs will become obvious enough so I am receptive of advice on what things ought to take priority in outfitting for sailing in the general area north of Boston and the cape areas.

Are there marinas or boat yards in the Gloucester area that allow DIYs to work on teak, varnish and such? The boat draws 5'3", where is a good place to base out of? What is the bottom paint of choice for sailors in this area?

The Chesapeake is where I learned sailing, it is different around Rockport, MA. I have a lot to learn, open ears to hear and try to keep a good attitude.

The engine is a Westerbeke W40, there is some other nomenclature, but it is about 37 hp with just under 1,500 hours. Any recommendations about maintaining the unit?

As for doing varnish and teak work, does anyone have any ideas or admonishment about using paint strippers, solvents, or recommendations about sandpaper and places to get materials? I am only looking to do the hand rails on the cabin trunk, the teak trim around the trunk and some work on the cockpit area.

It is pleasant to be excited about doing something again. The last time I sailed was about 1987. The years do slip away, 'eh?

Bob in Rockport
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook