SailNet Community - View Single Post - ASA instructor certification?
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2013

jackdale will become famous soon enough
Re: ASA instructor certification?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tempest View Post
Jack, I think it's probably a business decision for you at this point. Will they allow you to skip the pre-req and just take the CCMI (214) Clinic. If they expect you to take
201 that's 2 clinics, about $525.00 plus travel and expenses. Otherwise it's usually about $225.00 for 214 alone. If the school gives you enough courses you should get your investment back. There's also an annual membership/instructor fee. (under $100)
Tempest

Thanks, you are absolutely right.

Apparently CYA (now Sail Canada) and ASA can recognize each others certifications. The standards are vertically identical, the one big exception is the cat standard, for which I will likely have to attend a clinic.

I did decide to pay the fees for 2014. And I am getting the information on the cat certification. I have taught on both power cats and sail cats. As an ISPA powerboat instructor I am accustomed to two engines, they make docking rather easy. As well, the systems on cats resemble power boat systems somewhat.

The travel is the killer, but I have been asked to one delivery that will make the whole exercise worthwhile.

Now do I add this to my signature?
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook