SailNet Community - View Single Post - opinion on 35 Cheoy Lee
View Single Post
Old 02-24-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
opinion on 35 Cheoy Lee

When new teak decks are really nice. They are grippy when wet and look great. For me, though, they are a real deal buster. They are a lot of maintenance. About once a month I would carefully clean the decks with a product that washed and conditioned the teak. This was rubbed in with a 3M pad on a block so it did not eat out the grain. Twice a year I would go around and spend half a day replacing plugs that had gotten loose. I found that ever other year I had to rake out a large number of seams and recaulk. Sooner or later teake decks will start to leak and when they do they will rot out the substrate which in the case of Cheoy Lee was generally plywood. This is one of those big jobs that suddenly sneak up on you after the boat is 20 or so years old. (It happens slower up north where the boats are out of commission and covered for the winter,but sooner in the south where the exposure to near tropical sun can really take sits toll)

I also do not like having that much weight up high where it increases roll angle and reduces stability.

Jeff

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook