SailNet Community - View Single Post - KISS-SSB grounding package review?
View Single Post
Old 12-12-2013

btrayfors will become famous soon enough btrayfors will become famous soon enough
Re: KISS-SSB grounding package review?

Yep, it simply works! And, it's built to withstand the rigors of the marine environment.

I've got several years of experience now using, installing, selling the KISS radial ground system on many motor and sailboats. They all worked just fine.

As I've said repeatedly, this is definitely NOT the best possible RF ground system. However, for most folks it's a perfectly adequate one, and there's not doubt that it's by far the easiest to install.

The earlier comment about "no financial interest" is a joke. Yes, I'm a dealer for the KISS, but it's certainly not a profit center for me. It's the ONLY product for which I am a dealer, and I carry it mostly for the convenience of my customers.

What about all the naysayers and "tests" which purport to show the KISS "isn't resonant" or "isn't any better than a length of wire 14' long"? I'm not saying you should discount these reports completely, but what I am saying is that our understanding of RF grounding systems in use on a boat with random-length end-fed antennas (usually the insulated backstay or a whip) is definitely not complete.

About the only thing we CAN say with some confidence is:

1. It's definitely not the best possible RF ground system; and

2. It definitely works pretty well for the many hundreds of marine installations we know of, both in terms of ease of installation, tuning and in radiated power.

Every day I talk to and listen to boats which I know have these systems on both the ham bands and the marine bands; most all of them seem to have signals comparable to other boats using more traditional RF grounding systems.

FWIW,

Bill
WA6CCA

Last edited by btrayfors; 12-12-2013 at 06:01 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook