SailNet Community - View Single Post - Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2013

Delta-T is on a distinguished road
Re: Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

This PVC frame I did build for sailing purpose, but not for covering the boat. I just adapted it for covering a boat for you all. I really don't advocate covering boats, but if you have to cover, it should be an easy good design, so I though I would share. I can not find the pictures of when I had it set up, 60' long, in my back yard, to recondition my mast. Winter project. I now use some of the frames to hole netting up over the coy pond.

To attach the frame I would lash to the outside of the stanchion base only, or if you have a toe rail that has holes in it, and on the outside of life line. Stanchions and life line will be inside the cover and should clear the life line and not touch them. Tarp should be tight enough so no snow or water can not accumulate on top. And when you attach the beam rope tighten it down to squat the frame bending the frame to bow it around. This will give it spring and hold it tight and will not allow for much side to side movement. If you make the top two PVC pipe longer to make the frame wide enough to clear the life line and stanchions, then bend them in (this will work fine too), you will need to add gusset ropes inside from the side 45 deg elbows across to the base of the frame to keep cover from swaying. Tying off to the mast will eliminate most swaying and or planing to use the boom just under the frame will work too.

If you would like me to show these options in plan form, I will be happy to do so.

Think spring!
Eric

Last edited by Delta-T; 12-13-2013 at 09:01 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook