SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: The original Yachts had already a bath tube bow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff_H View Post
At least in the United States, near as I can tell, stretching back well into the 1800's, the word 'Yacht' merely meant a private vessel (as differenciated from a commercial vessel) and did not have a size associated with it. Years ago I read an article about a sandbagger race that took place shortly after the US Civil War. In that article, they described an incident where there was a colision between an "18 foot yacht" which hit a 'Livery boat' with a church group on board. Similarly Kinhardt used the term, "Small Yachts" in the 1800's to include boats which were as small around 20 feet.

I also understand that this may only be a North American English formal use of the word, 'Yacht'. In common parlance non-sailors seem to assume that there is a size and grandour associated with the word ,"Yacht" which technically is not a part of the definition.

Jeff
Jeff, maybe you misunderstood me or I have not being clear. What you said happened also here. What I am saying is that now, at least in Europe, nobody would be talking about a 18ft yacht. That would be regarded as pompous. It can be only here and on the US they are still calling yachts to dinghies but probably it will change. What I said was:

"Back to the word Yacht, it seems to be changing again of meaning. On the 50's and 60's yacht was a pleasure boat of some dimension, but a 40ft boat was already called a yacht, a small yacht but a yacht nonetheless. Now, at least in Europe, if someone is referring to his boat as a yacht and the boat has not more than 60ft, he is being pompous. The denomination of yacht seems to have been reserved now for large pleasure motorboats or sailing boats. Smaller ones are just called as sailing boats or motor boats."

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 12-13-2013 at 11:11 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook