SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Irc

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt vimes View Post
Interesting results of the ARC...
It just seems that when it comes to cruising and long distance passages, the speed advantage of the multis is just not there...

On another note:
Could anyone explain me how the TCCs are calculated?
I mean 1.652 for a volvo 70... Ok, but at the end of the list is a tp52 with 0.951 (if the last boats all have the same)... 2 pogo 40 with different ratings and a pogo 12.50 with an even lower rating... I do not get it...
http://www.worldcruising.com/content...ion%20List.pdf

Edit:
Keep this awesome thread going - it was the one which hooked me...
Thanks.

The boats are rated under IRC. IRC does not rate a model but each particular boat depending on sails, carbon masts, canting keels, and water ballast among other things. The rule is revised each year taking into account the race results from the last year. It is a secret rule and only the RORC Rating Office and UNCL Centre de Calcul in Paris (that own the rule) are able to attribute a ratting.

An Introduction to IRC

Offshore Documents

That's a lot more sophisticated and close to the boat's real performance than the PHRF or the Nordic LYS but in my opinion a let loss sophisticated and accurate than ORCI. Problem is that the French and the British use it while the ORCI is used more by Italians even if now is spreading quickly to Germany and Nordic countries. There was talking about unifying the two rules but it seems that the installed interests are too big

That's pretty ridiculous, here top race boats have two keels and change them according to the rule. Not a big difference but it can be enough for winning.

Regarding those two different ratings to two Pogo 40's (class 40 racing boats?) it has probably to do with the sails they have and age allowance (older boats have automatically a lower rating then new ones).

Regarding the big difference of those two Pogos 40 to the Pogo 12.50 (slower boat) it has to do with the 12.50 being a cruiser and the others racers. The Pogo 12.50 has the same hull as a Pogo class 40 racing boat but a smaller rig (without back-stay), a swing keel (the others have a racing keel with more draft - 3.0m) and does not have water ballast tanks.

By the way that beautiful hull that was posted by G1000 is a Pogo 12.50 hull, the one from his own new sailboat that is being built.

Regarding the TP52 you are mistaken. There is no rating there for it. The one you mention is attributed to a 8,5m boat a small cruising Pogo.

The IRC rating of a TP52 should be around 1360. The Tp52 is a top racing boat and the one that was making this Transat was a very poor sailed one.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 12-13-2013 at 12:33 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook