SailNet Community - View Single Post - Our "friend" Ryan
View Single Post
Old 03-13-2007
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by cockeyedbob
tdw ... Gerry O'Beirne quoted ...
Checked storm tracks SIO for last 25 years, some years very active ... Port Hedland still there? ... Thanks for the book, routing, and tide suggestions ... sail from San Diego, make a stop or two 'long the way ...

Regarding the route, something I should make clear, just in case you think I know what I am talking about .

Louisiades is probably a bum steer. My intention is to head north to Thursday Island then either west to the Kimberleys and return or East to Louisiades and the Solomons. If you are coming from the East however, you would probably be best advised to come through New Caledonia , across to north east coast of Queensland then up to TI or head North West from NC to TI. I want to go through the Louisiades beccause they are not so often visited and are supposedly an intereting place to see plus I wish to visit a specific island south of Bougainville. (family history). It may be that the Lousiades is a bit too far north when coming from the East. To be honest I don't know but I will find out.

I've not done this trip previously so I could be talking through my arse but it is what I'd like to do. I've been up to TI and west from there but not as far as the Kimberley Coast itself. Nor have I gone east from TI. New Guinea has a reputation for lawlessness but from what I read that's confined mainly to Port Moresby and Bougainville.

Cheers

TD

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook