SailNet Community - View Single Post - 3D Printing of Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 12-13-2013
arrgh!

titustiger27 is on a distinguished road
Re: 3D Printing of Sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnesail View Post
Quite a bit of printing is now print-on-demand. Nautical charts are all POD now, as are a lot of textbooks. We have a digital press that is really not much more than a beefed up copier, and it can turn out a full-color 60-page saddle stitched book for under $1.50.

Anyway... I think 3D printing is very exciting. I bet race boats will be the first to use it. You could create crazy microfoams and vary the thickness exactly as a designer specified to create super lightweight hulls.
In my just 'published' response I think we are looking at this differently. I think POD is more from people who have the ability to do mass productions... I don't think they are doing just one offs... maybe they are.. doing 3,000 different books two at a time POD, When I look at the verso of a book and it says: "Toronto, London, New York" as places of printed... I will concede it is likely it is POD, but not from a small printing company..

I do agree that just as there are printers doing one off 'artist books' there will be 3-D printers doing Oracles... I still wonder it it won't be cheaper to make them buy hand...your thought of microfoams might lend itself to the fact a 3-D printer could make something that can't be hand made.

Vector X + Y

Last edited by titustiger27; 12-13-2013 at 10:06 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook