SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rallies Gone Wrong
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2013

Yorksailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Rallies Gone Wrong

In the above referenced article in Ocean Navigator the statement by the weather router Ken McKinley

"The idea that weather routers have “aided and abetted” the notion that sailors can go voyaging without ever facing a gale at sea is mildly offensive to me."

when referring to John Harries statement in his blog post is very interesting and John's statement was actually an understatement.

For the last month I have, over my morning coffee sitting in a lovely Caribbean anchorage, been listening to Chris Parker's webcast which starts at 06:00 EST.

GreenLight Web

Chris Parker's information is excellent and when you follow on the internet while you have the synoptic and grib files open on your computer you can see the accuracy of the information but you can also follow the type of cruisers that use his information.

Chris Parker had three types of listener/on the webcast and the SSB transmissions:

1) Cruisers seeking information

2) Cruisers seeking advice

3) Cruisers seeking permission to leave the dock.

One cruiser actually needed confirmation that it was safe to undertake a 15 mile trip in protected waters on a sunny day. Another in a cruising cat needed a day when they could cross from Miami to Bimini motor sailing in near calm seas.

I do not fault cruisers who are cautious but I do fault cruisers who do not even develop the skills to sail the 50 nm from No Name Harbor to Bimini, across the Gulf Stream, utilizing the excellent weather data supplied by NOAA. It is obvious that the weather routers do in fact aid and abet this lack of ability and unrealistic expectations of the weather they might encounter.

Phil

Last edited by Yorksailor; 12-14-2013 at 01:37 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook