SailNet Community - View Single Post - Annapolis Book of Seamanship New Edition
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2013
Old enough to know better

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Annapolis Book of Seamanship New Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsail View Post
Thanks. You have a good point. I take it as a compliment that you'd like to have both versions, one for study and the other for hands-on. I write in the new introduction, "The aim for 30 years has been to advise you the sailor on essential gear, skills, and attitudes that will enhance your pleasure and safety wherever you sail, in whichever boat you sail." In other words, this book has always been intended to be thorough, but above all to be practical, with its checklists, Hands On sections, and Mark Smith's drawings (to which we've added a great many photographs).

That said, pricing is in the publisher's and store's hands. Yet I'd be remiss if I didn't point out that the price of the book is about as low as it's ever been, factoring for inflation. The list price of the 1983 first edition was $25. I've come across people who still use that edition. I wish they didn't (GPS was just three random letters back then), but there we are.

JR
Oh it is meant to be a compliment. Books that I really like, I like to have available as much as possible. I don't think the physical book is at all over priced. It is a LOT of printing and a lot of work! Kind of like buying the CD because you like the quality of the music (even though an album sounds even better, they don't do well on a boat!), and then getting the MP3 to have with you on your portable device. Digital formats on books are great, but are still in a state of flux as far as price structure goes. Seems that for an extra few dollars you could provide both as a package deal(I understand this may be out of your control). I still prefer to have a paper version, as it is not dependent on batteries or electronic devices in order to read it, much easier to take notes and mark pages and what not. But I also appreciate the advantages of being able to carry around thousands of books on one compact device. So if I am traveling for work I can take a tablet and have my library available to me, and when business traveling light I don't think I would want to carry a book like this way to big!

I look forward to this book coming out and will likely pre-order it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook