SailNet Community - View Single Post - New Farr 727
Thread: New Farr 727
View Single Post
Old 03-14-2007

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
I really love these boats (I have owned 28 foot and 38 foot versions of this basic design brief.) but I must say that these early Farr designs are very long in the tooth and frankly the newer designs offer a big jump in overall performance across a wider range of windspeeds. I am amazed that someone actually built one of these as late as 2003. I can only speculate that you must have had a one design class of these still racing them over there.

I am familiar with the Canadian version of the 727. They were very well built and I don't recall seeing any flexure anywhere in these boats. I did talk to a fellow who was restoring one here in the States and he ran into some problems with the bulkheads and mast step that resulted from water leakage at the shrouds. $12,000 AUS sounds reasonable based on my understanding of the high sales prices for boats in Australia vs US.

The interior layout was extremely simple on these boats, as you would imagine for a 23 foot boat. If I remember correctly the North American boats have two quarter berths aft, an ice box/stove module on one side near the bulkhead, a sink module on the other side near the bulkhead, and optional vee berth forward with a porta-potty under the hatch.

The way I look at boats like these, they make good daysailers and overnighters, one design racers and club level racers.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook