SailNet Community - View Single Post - Line from the hardware store?
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2013

bblument is on a distinguished road
Re: Line from the hardware store?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irunbird View Post
Another idea fj is to source line from rock climbing stores (considerably cheaper than west marine). It's usually not uv stable, so it won't last as long, but there is not as much stretch as you'd find from hardware store line.
I'd look into that further. My wife and I have done a bit of climbing, although no multi-pitch big-wall stuff. Climbing line DOES have stretch built into it, purposely. When you fall, the stretch in the rope absorbs some of the shock of the fall. Climbers do use "static rope" which is not designed to stretch, but not for protection during climbing. Static line is used whenever the load is "static," i.e., when ascending via the rope (jumaring), rappelling, or hauling gear. If you do decide to source rope from a climbing store, make sure you get static line. Climbing rope ("dynamic line") has a stretch of 6 - 12% designed into it. Static line usually 2-4%.

Barry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"Without question, the greatest invention in the history of mankind is beer. Oh, I grant you that the wheel was also a fine invention, but the wheel does not go nearly as well with pizza." - Dave Barry
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook