SailNet Community - View Single Post - Annapolis Book of Seamanship New Edition
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2013

johnsail is on a distinguished road
Re: Annapolis Book of Seamanship New Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatapaul View Post
Oh it is meant to be a compliment. Books that I really like, I like to have available as much as possible. I don't think the physical book is at all over priced. It is a LOT of printing and a lot of work! Kind of like buying the CD because you like the quality of the music (even though an album sounds even better, they don't do well on a boat!), and then getting the MP3 to have with you on your portable device. Digital formats on books are great, but are still in a state of flux as far as price structure goes. Seems that for an extra few dollars you could provide both as a package deal(I understand this may be out of your control). I still prefer to have a paper version, as it is not dependent on batteries or electronic devices in order to read it, much easier to take notes and mark pages and what not. But I also appreciate the advantages of being able to carry around thousands of books on one compact device. So if I am traveling for work I can take a tablet and have my library available to me, and when business traveling light I don't think I would want to carry a book like this way to big!

I look forward to this book coming out and will likely pre-order it.

As a Kindle-user, I appreciate your point. Eventually the book business might appreciate it, too, but right now it's struggling to sort out this clash of conflicting technologies.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook