Thread: direct drive
View Single Post
Old 12-15-2013

Geoff54 is on a distinguished road
Re: direct drive

[quote=boatpoker;1220498]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff54 View Post
Sorry to disagree with you ( again ) but in this case I think the broker who wrote the ad' actually does know what he is talking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff54 View Post

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. Your diagram clearly shows a gear reduction unit and all your photo shows is a shaft drive which does not mean it is a direct drive.

"direct drive" is a very specific type of drive without a gear reduction unit. No production pleasure craft is built that way. For more information on what is is, try here Tugboat Society of America
Sorry, I didn't intend to confuse the issue. jrd22 had said, "I would guess they are just meaning there is no V-drive", which is what I thought you were referring to. I have often seen "direct drive" in broker listings - I think it a check box on their automated system and as indicated, is commonly used to differentiate conventional from V or saildrive.

I completely understand what a traditional direct drive is. I was on a canal boat earlier this year and we double-locked with a boat that had a gorgeous open-case engine with direct drive. It used a sliding cone arrangement that engaged/disengage the shaft for forward drive and engaged a set of side gears (probable not the correct terminology) to reverse the shaft direction to go astern. I don't recall who made it but it was from an old fishing boat and apparently it was not uncommon for the cone to jam after several days fishing and a little "persuasion" might be required to disengage the drive.