SailNet Community - View Single Post - Lower unit replacement (casing)
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2013
I don't discuss my member

zz4gta is on a distinguished road
Re: Lower unit replacement (casing)

The original problem was that the shifter was hard to engage into Forward. Only F and N on this motor. I tried to push it into F and the shifter broke and spun on the shifter shaft.
I purchased the replacement shifter. I could not get out the old shifter shaft. I tried days of letting it soak in PB blaster, Kroil, and a number of other things, I heated it, tapped on it, then ended up bending the shaft. Cut off the bent section, tried cutting threads onto the shaft to use washer and a nut to extract the shaft. This has been a 6 month project and I’ve been using a barrowed outboard.

The sad part is I bought this brand new from West marine in 2009 and there’s another story to go along with that. Long, I’ll spare you. I’m at the point now to give up on getting the shaft out, and just replace the entire casing. The motor was around $900+ tax and has been nothing but headaches.

It's a horrible design. The original plastic shifter handle is all that broke, and it’s going to cost me hundreds to fix it. I tried a machine shop, they refused to work on it. I’m a certified machinist myself but don’t have access to a shop anymore. I’m running out of patients.