SailNet Community - View Single Post - racing bottom
Thread: racing bottom
View Single Post
Old 02-26-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
racing bottom

Two minor points, Baltiplate now comes in multiple colors, Blue and Red I think.

As to selling a boat, it is far easier to sell a boat that potentially might do some racing if it has a racing finish than to sell the same boat with a ''cruising finish''.

As I look at it, it is cheaper to repaint a boat that has a racing finish once the boat has one. Prep is far less expensive. So much so that you can often get a cheaper price (including the wet and dry sanding follow up) to paint a bottom in racing shape than to throw a couple coats on a rougher bottom.

To me if I see a boat with a racing finish, it means that is extremely easy to tell if it has a blister problem but a boat with a ''cruising finish'' could be hiding anything.

If I see a boat with a racing bottom I asume that the owner cares about a boat enough to keep the bottom fair and inshape. When I see a ''cruising bottom'' I assume that perhaps other aspects of the boat have been short changed as well.

Lastly, if I wanted better anti-fouling properties than a racing finish I can always have a softer paint sprayed over the harder finish, but if I want to return the boat to a racing bottom, I can expect to spend a small fortune getting rid of the old bottom paint inorder to apply the racing finish.

At least that''s how I see it.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook