Thread: bilge water
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2013

captain jack is on a distinguished road
Re: bilge water

Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
Great !

How are you running the pump, from shore power or a battery..??
battery. i wired it permanently to the switch panel. at present, it's the only thing hooked up. all the rest of the wiring was BS harry home owner junk. really bad. small ga wires leading from the power source to heavier ga wires. poorly crimped, hard plastic automotive connectors ( the kind i never ever use on cars or bikes). not even any electric tape at the crimped ends. fire hazzard. getting ready to begin rewiring the whole thing.

i used a Rule automatic bilge pump. not the type that cycles every two minutes, though. the type with an actual float. it's rated at 1000 gallons per. i used tinned 12ga wire and the appropriate connectors with the adhesive in the shrink tube part. then i used liquid electric tape over the joints. i routed the wiring away from the hose so water is less likely to run along the wires.

once i get the pics on photo bucket, i will post some pics of the well and the new through hull ( which is not through the hull ). not sure, yet, how the pics turned out. you may or may not be able to see the last bit of water coming out. it didn't take long to clear out what little water was there.

by the time i got the pump ( $89 ), the through hull, hose, wire and connectors, and battery, it cost me around $200. as everyone knows, it adds up quick.

i am not going to buy the wire or connectors i need, for the rest of the system, from west marine. that would cost me a fortune. i am going to see if i can find a better source and buy bulk. it's more cost effective that way.

i also need to find some interior lights, too. 3 or 4. again, not from west marine. too expensive. going for LEDs. brighter with less power draw and heat.

1971 Cal 27

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook