SailNet Community - View Single Post - Noise from dockline passing thru Hawse Pipe
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about
Re: Noise from dockline passing thru Hawse Pipe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondofromredondo View Post
This is driving me crazy !!

...... It's quite loud and I'd imagine most of you know exactly the sound I'm speaking of.
Aaahhh.... the dreaded 'GRONK'!

Tying the boat up with a bit of slack can help ease this some.. but if there's wave action or strong breeze you'll eventually fetch up with tension again anyhow.

We've found the worst for noise was using low stretch line (like old sheets) for mooring lines. Good nylon seems quieter. Cloth rags under the contact point reduced the noise as well. In extreme cases I've mover the lines to stanchions and pulpit bases to avoid the 'dragging' line through a chock or fairlead/hawse, but you need to be sure it's adequately strong. A bowline loop on polished stainless will 'gronk' much less than a round turn and hitch, which will tend to 'roll' around the post with alternating tension.

Tough to sleep through, that's for sure!!

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook