SailNet Community - View Single Post - Has anyone on here raised a sunken sailboat?....I have...
View Single Post
Old 03-15-2007

starwindsailor is on a distinguished road
We have finally cleared things up, A BIG thanks to some really radical people.

Now the story, The boat was on a mooring line here in Chas. SC. The boat somehow managed to leave the moor and end up on the bank, as the picture indicates. This happens relatively often in this area. The bank that it landed on is home to many other wrecks, some having been there for over 10 years.
When the boats hit the bank, they leave the jurisdiction of the coast guard, and enter the jurisdiction of SCDNR. According to SCDNR law if a boat is registered, no matter where it is, (shoal or bottom) or how long its been there, no person other than the registered owner is allowed to board the boat without permission.
Unfortunately, when a fully rigged boat washes up, looking "abandoned" pirates have there way, stripping the boats for all they are worth. This is exactly what happened here. In a matter of three days the boat went from fully rigged, to the bare hull it is now. The spinnaker, boom, winches, hardware and several sets of sails all gone.
I have filed a stolen property report with SCDNR, local police and the Coast guard, all who have told me in a round about way, I will probably never see anything again. Without insurance I am left with the hull and a "good luck" from officials.
If anyone has info. please share..
SS
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook