SailNet Community - View Single Post - Oriental to Baltimore
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2007

christyleigh is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingdog
How big is the sailboat in question. Unless it is a larger boat, moving it overland via truck may be faster, cheaper and simpler.
SD may have your best option there. When I traded in my c320 (RI) for my NC331 (Annap) the math of the self delivery of my c320 to Annap proved un-doable because of the time and fuel tank size so I had it trucked down $$$$ 5,000 $$$$ - but the cost of a delivery captian was also way into the obscenity range. On the other hand I did self deliver my NC331 because being a motor sailer with extra power and fuel capacity I could maintain 6+ kts for the daylight delivery to RI. I would have echoed Cam's early (first) response not knowing all the circumstances because to me 8 hrs is a 'day sail' and on a 'point A to point B' cruise or delivery means 10-12 hrs to me also....... But...because you and the boat are new to each other the caution of shorter days is probably in order if you decide to move it that way. Even though I expected to beat my estimates though I always plan on short legs, push hard, and then have plenty of wiggle room if it hits the fan.
Wickford/Narragansett Bay RI

Last edited by christyleigh; 03-16-2007 at 10:44 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook