SailNet Community - View Single Post - Experience required to bareboat?
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2013

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Re: Experience required to bareboat?

The first time you get behind the wheel of that big boat and it is all about you and your wife on the foredeck I suspect you will be more than a little nervous I know I am the first day of every season.

The enormity of the responsibility hits you all at once.
If something happens then you will have a mark on your name that will be hard to erase.

You could just go with the flow maybe with an agreement that the captain can be dropped off after the first day if he is not needed.
The idea that they are going to double cross you with a captain you don't need or want is probably a worry about nothing. That is not in their best interests.

You seem to be working hard at becoming a better sailor. You never know you may like the captain so much and may be learning so much you may even have a better time with him on board at least for a little while.

I have the asa 101,103,104 and went back for Captains OUVP and ASA instructors 201,203,204 and 205 and if they wanted me to take a captain for or day or so I would be pleased and you better believe I would get my $200 worth out of the guy. People like that you can learn an awful lot from. I would squeeze the guy dry.

I don't know about your wife but when I'm sailing with my wife due to some health issues I have to assume I'm on my own at any given moment. It is just more relaxing when I know I have someone else to help especially if it is on a boat that is new to me.

Last edited by davidpm; 12-18-2013 at 09:10 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook