SailNet Community - View Single Post - Newport 28
Thread: Newport 28
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2002

tackesailors is on a distinguished road
Newport 28

I''ve owned an 85 Newport MKII for three years and found it to be a great value. I sail Fan Francisco Bay and the Delta. Catalina 27 owners and Cal 2-27 owners have prasied the boat. Catalina owners have stated the boat is built better and that it was a step above Catalina. Look at the Mast and rigging on a Catalina or Hunter then compare that to a Newport. It has left Cal 2-27s far behind on Bay crossings. The cabin accomodations and space far exceed Cal 2-27s. I prefer the Newport cabin over the Catalina or Hunter. The Cal 2-27 is a better heavy weather boat. As in all production boats there are draw backs. Plastic thru hull valves, the wiring is not marine grade, Newports are a bit tender but once in the groove settle in nicely. You will need to reef as the winds exceed 15/18 knots. I''ve never had problems with her rounding up, but have been knocked down when an unexpected 30 knot gust caught me sailing with too much sail up to far off the wind. Released the sails and she stood right back up and we were on our way again.
The Newport 28 is a C&C designed boat. The low freeboard puts you close to the water some people don''t like that. I''ve had no problems with leaks or failing rigging. Some 1/4 inch blisters on haul out, minor compared to other boats I''ve seen.
She is a production boat not a Swan or Hans Christian. I have not been aboard other than the MKIIs (post ''83) so I can not speak for the earlier models.
My wife and I can cruise comfortably for a couple of weeks on our boat and plan on keeping her for a few more years. She is a good recerational family cruiser or club racer (the wife and the boat).
You can see more on the web site www.tackesailors.com
Larry
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook