SailNet Community - View Single Post - Experience required to bareboat?
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2013

neilsty is on a distinguished road
Re: Experience required to bareboat?

In the BVIs you do not need a shallow draft, I would think a deeper draft is better in the trades. The water is deep with most anchorages easily accessible for a 6 ft draft boat. Only places you will need less than 7ft draft is for white bay on Jost and anegada. With your experience you will probably not be cleared for anegada anyway. There are a lot of charterers you do not know how to anchor, sail with way too much canvass up, and do not know what a traveler is for, so like others have said if you have the paperwork to show basic competency plus a good credit card you are golden. I have never chartered from TMM, but years ago I did take a look at their boats as I was considering a saga, and they had one for charter. I didn't charter it nor did I buy a saga, but my impression was that their boats wre not as well maintained as the better known charter companies and I have some horror stories about one if these better known companies. My experience has been that the only charter companies that are serious about valid capabilities are island yachts out of red hook, and voyage out of west end, the others it is basic ASA and a credit card.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook