SailNet Community - View Single Post - Boat lost off Hawaii
View Single Post
Old 03-16-2007
Thanks Courtney.

T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about T34C has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor
T34C-
"The rudder breakage on a (since discontinued) composite rudder post was a KNOWN problem to Hunter and they issued a bulletin to owners on the subject in 2005 after 16 reports of failure. "
My foolish assumption, that if rudders were known to break off, a manufacturer would have issued a recall of some kind rather than, what? just sending out postcard saying "Keep an eye on your rudder" ?

AFAIK there is a strict product liability under the Uniform Commercial Code, Magnusson-Moss Act, and other statutes for hidden defects that would pretty much make the builder responsible for coming out and replacing the rudders. (Which is not to say some vendors wouldn't try to ignore that cost.)

I almost forgot. Hunter said that rudders are designed to protect the bottom of boats. (All this time I thought they were for steering.)

Dunno, not my department.
Link to Hunter site that discusses this: (Thanks Cam-)
http://www.huntermarine.com/Images/P...2005TuneUp.pdf
Hunter doesn't warrant the rudders of their boats. Of the 16 boats that lost rudders they were able to look at 13 of them. 11 met their design/manufacturing standards. (maybe not high enough) 1 met design tolerances, but not their in-house tolereances. (bad quality control). 1 "may" have had a defect. (again, bad quality control)

Hunters solution: The captain should learn to sail w/o a rudder, and they have made a ss rudder post they would be happy to sell you at a "reduced" cost.

Last edited by T34C; 03-16-2007 at 02:57 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook