SailNet Community - View Single Post - Beneteau vs Hunter
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2002

MLynch357 is on a distinguished road
Beneteau vs Hunter

Well, between a Hunter and a Beneteau, I like the Beneteau. It will perform better and is a better-built boat, although they are both pan-and-tab construction, which kind of puts them in the Chevy range as cars go. Or maybe the Hunter is a Chevy and the Beneteau a Buick, the point being neither is a BMW. Nonetheless, I think the Benenteau is substantially better.

You simply can''t compare BeneHunterlinas to premium boats (J, Sabre, Tartan, etc.). I mean there comes a time when you have to look at how many hours in a year you spend on the thing, divide that into the yearly cost, and figure out what it costs you per hour to own the thing (don''t forget to include maintenance, storage, mortgage, taxes and insurance by the way). Now, of course, you will poo yourself when you do this no matter which boat you buy, but the Beneteau/Hunter will result in substantially less poo, and that is why they are purchased by many people after a reality check.

That said, DAMN BOY! You''re going to spend all that money for a Hunter? Even the Beneteau? If you''re going to throw that kind of money out the window, can''t you scale back the size a bit and get into a premium boat? Maybe a Tartan or something in the 36-40 foot range? I mean, you''re talking about more than a quarter million dollars for a depreciating asset, and it''s still only a Hunter.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook