SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pros and cons of steel sailboats
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2013

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Lou,

I would agree with Paulo, There is really not a best boat for anyone, unless you have someone like BP design it, and custom build it! Even then! your design will be pigeon holed into how you intend to use it. Look back a page or two, and see what Outbound, Sloop, Jeff and myself want in boats. NONE of them are the same. We each have a how we will use a boat, so want it to work for that reason. I'm mostly a daysailor/racer, with an occasional weekend, and maybe one week a year on the boat. I do not need nor want, 100+ gals of fuel and water on the boat. Frankly a 12 hr plus 10-20% reserve is plenty of fuel for how I use the boat. Even the current one with a 6-7 hr literally 7 gal tank is very usable for how I use the boat. when I need to motor 8-10 hrs, I take a 5 gal jerry can and fill half way to the destination. 20 gals of water lasts me the whole season! A single size 24 house battery has never been drained sailing, or on the hook etc!

So hence why builders have different styles types of boats etc. You need to figure out the how you may or will use the boat, get storage etc to meet those goals, and you then have a boat that is probably 90% perfect............

Marty