SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: New A35

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPelicano View Post
Very good points, as usual, Paulo. I really like the JPK 38FC but price is a problem - €153.000 / $208,000 - so all up cost close to €175.000 / $240,000. That would be a considerable stretch for me. But perhaps with twin rudders and racing keel the A35 would end up costing as much. Of course, that's assuming buying new; I think, like you, I would look for a previously owned model and save some money. The Salona 38 is a nice boat, but again priced new out of my budget (~$238K / €176K). Imagine an IBC version is even more.

My intention is to race and cruise single and doublehanded. Perhaps friends or family might come aboard, but I'm not counting on it, from past experience. But I have close friends in the yacht racing fraternity who would be more than happy to do a DH Transquadra or Bermuda 1-2, etc. I suspect I will barely have resources to do things like that, when the time comes, let alone support a fully crewed racing program.

But, as we've discussed previously, if I only have to think of myself, then suddenly the Pogo 30 looks very nice. In fact, even a Pogo 3 would probably do the trick for my solo racing / cruising dreams. In the past I've let my concerns about what the wife wants influence my boat purchases, and that didn't turn out well. I shouldn't make the same mistake again, if I can help it.

In fact, I'm very eager to see the first Pogo 3 (which I thought was going to be shown at the Paris Nautic this month, but haven't seen any photos or news). That may very well end up being the best option for me. A friend / sailing colleague, here in Long Island Sound, purchased a Pogo 2 (U.S. built) and has been having a great time racing it and day sailing with his family. If I'm smart, I'll take a lesson from him. I've never sailed a Series boat (only Protos) but I've been aboard one of the Spanish-built Zeros and it seemed to have sufficient room for a minimalist like myself.

For now, just trying to survive the snow.
That seems a bit to vague tome. If you are thinking in a mini racer and not properly for doing mini-racing why not having a maxi-mini with better performance and a cruising interior?

Marée Haute - Django Ocean Race

I think it is inside your budget and these guys have racing experience and now how to make a race boat. They started doing minis and doing mini racing. They also make a mini racer.

This boat can be classified as A boat and you can legally sail offshore on it if you come to Europe. The interior is quite good for a racing boat since it is the same one used on the cruising version.

With 1500kg and 51m2 of sail upwind and 120m2 downwind this one should fly

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook