SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pros and cons of steel sailboats
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2013

MikeJohns is on a distinguished road
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Swain View Post
Only one of my boats, who's builders ignored my plans, has ever been holed behind the keels, and that at far above hull speed on a solid rock, yet you claim, from Australia, without having ever seen any of my boats, to know of many more that I am not aware of ,and you claim I am being deceptive?
You claim that logitudinals, arcs, under longitudinal compression, are not under compression when faced with inward pressure?
Man what a crock.

Someone without the ability to comprehend such simple basics, is definitely not a reliable source of any info on the structural factors in a metal hull.
How many times has this been explained to you by how many people?
if you have a compression member it's either column or an arch, you presumed your shallow curve was an arch and have written so numerous times, trouble is you don't understand buckling. It's not an arch.

Your structural arguments are 'religious' arguments that have nothing to do with reality. You have a very ignorant and even deluded view of structures which is dangerous for a boat designer.

You still don't understand span either but you do understand spin

All you baloney about holed boats..... The whole idea is that the whole grillage yields under severe impact with no hard spots. You just don't understand how strong that makes the boat, how much energy a metal boat can take in severe impact and remain integrally intact and floating.

Look at a pic of 'Gringo' again after being T boned by a bulbous bow. Gringo is extensively transverse framed. See how the transverses kept the hull in shape and stopped a large global collapse. And no holes Brent, despite all that transverse framing.

Had Gringo been a frameless BS design it's likely that the damage would have been catastrophic. No different to a light foam GRP in such a collision.