SailNet Community - View Single Post - 100 amp Alternator recommendation needed
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
I've upgraded to Balmar alternators on my last 2 boats and found them rugged and reliable with absolutely no problems in extended cruising use. I also use their smart regulator which lets you quickly diagnose any charging issues and set the proper charging regimen for various types of batteries. For a monitor we use the Link system which interfaces nicely with the Xantrex charger/inverters. The Link is used every day to monitor what is going on with our banks and charging and is one of the most valuable pieces of equipment we have on board.
The choice of charger/inverter will depend on the size of your banks and the equipment you will be using. There are both modified sine wave inverters and pure sine wave inverters with the latter being more expensive and needed if you use equipment that is sensitive. The drawback to the sinewave units is that they use a lot of amps in the standby mode. We have used high quality modified sine wave (Heart2500) without problems on board and experienced no problems with microwave,flat TV, PC and assorted other devices but apparently some are more sensitive than others.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook