SailNet Community - View Single Post - Survey say's.......
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2013

Dog Ship is on a distinguished road
Re: Survey say's.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
There are no requirements to CALL yourself a surveyor. NAMS/SAMS maintain fairly high standards (a.k.a. "requirements") for surveyors that they accredit.

Anyone who does not seek out an accredited surveyor pretty much gets what they deserve. And anyone who gets a completely worthless survey from an accredited surveyor needs to be talking to the accrediting agency--they take their standards quite seriously.
According to The AMS of BC the closest accredited marine surveyor is in Victoria. I live almost 150km from there.
There are many in Vancouver but I live on Vancouver Island and the cost to bring one over for a simple insurance survey would be outrageous.
The one in Victoria is affiliated with The Association of Marine Surveyor's of British Columbia whether he is accredited, I don't know. His rate is almost double what I paid, plus travel expenses.
The surveyor I hired charged me $434.70. For a simple survey for insurance purposes that is pretty much the going rate. My annual insurance premium is only $287 per year. Why would I spend almost a $1000 for something that anyone could do.
denverON, I'm not going to slam the guy and smear his name, that won't achieve anything.
northptsailor, please read the thread before posting. Your scenario was already addressed.
No slobbering on the charts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook