SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2013

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road
Re: A35/Dehler 32 pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Top performance boats are very expensive. Try to see hoe much it costs a top Dehler 38 and you will be surprised.
Sure we can compare in what regards cruising, but the one that is interested in those boats and the one I was talking to is Pelicano and he wants a boat more for racing than for cruising. I agree that for cruising a Dehler 38 makes more sense in what regards price/performance/cruising comfort. In what regards I think the real competitor is the Salona 38 that offers about the same for less.

Regards

Paulo
Quite so. I don't know anything about cruising, only about racing. So even if I am buying a boat that I will cruise sometimes (when I learn how), I still plan to be racing a good deal of the time. And I'm also in a minimalist frame of mind, which means I'm willing to dispense with certain comforts / conveniences in return for performance. That's one reason I'm so favorably inclined toward the Pogo 30, though it is not an inexpensive boat. But we've talked about this before, and the money you spend on a Pogo is money spent on saving weight, and the strength / durability of the hull and appendages for offshore use.

A couple of comments on some of the preceding posts:

1. The Sunfast 3200 racing on SF Bay is not particularly well-sailed. I'm thinking they are sailing PHRF in the YRA Summer Series, which is not very competitive compared to the IRC and One Design regattas in that location. In the video you'll see nobody is hiking very hard, people spending too long on the low side, and a screwed up spinnaker set, etc. They're having fun, of course, but it would be more interesting to see that boat racing in IRC against well-sailed performance cruisers.

2. I've been in love with the Seascape 27 since it was first proposed and the Sam Manuard design revealed. And clearly they have delivered exactly what they promised: a fast, fun, versatile little offshore racer, that can embarass bigger boats head-to-head, even if its rating is a bit painful. In the one video of the Croatia offshore race, the 4 Seascape 27's are not "official" entries, as they didn't meet the minimum length requirement. But they were allowed to race anyway. On the Seascape Facebook page we were speculating that the race organizers were attempting to protect the feelings of big boat owners who spent too much money to be crushed by a little 27ft trailerable swing keeler. Even though I have been agonizing over RMs, Djangos, A35s, A31s, Pogo 30s (and Pogo 3s), the more I'm thinking about return on investment, the better the Seascape 27 looks. True, it is not Class A certified, but you could certainly bring it into compliance with some additional investment of money - e.g., make it unsinkable, for example. Hoping to get a chance to see one once the two boats coming to the U.S. arrive (assuming I make it to Florida for the Laser mid-winter events).

By my estimations, a well-equipped Seascape 27 would set me back about $115K / €85.000 (or perhaps 10% more than that, factoring in shipping and import duties, etc.). I'll try to find out from one of the U.S. owners with whom I've been communicating.

Now back to our regularly scheduled program: "Interesting Boats".