SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pros and cons of steel sailboats
View Single Post
post #2884 of Old 12-20-2013
Brent Swain

Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
There is no way I would trust an artist to duplicate what I have drawn. I can draw 3D sketches of my boats all day long. I need 3D work that can be used for true evaluatiuon of the details in the design. I want a model that will reflect a ,5" change in cabin top camber or a 1" change in cabin top crown profile. I want accuracy so I can fine tune. With the 3D model completed we turn it back into a 2D drawings that can be overlaid over the starting drawings to make sure we have not strayed from the initial design targets. I don't want a pretty cabin trunk to find out I have lost 2" of headroom. When the fine tuning is done the 3D model is used for CNC tooling and that way I can be assurred that the tooling built is exactlly conforming to what I have drawn. This is all way beyond the capability of even the best artists. It's a nice idea but you can't drop a painting off at the CNC shop and say "Call when when the tooling is done."

Of course a beautiful painting can look very nice. But our 3D work isn't too shabby. If an owner wants some art I'll get Scott Chambers to carve him a half model.

My first boat had a toe rail which looked exactly like that one. What a huge pain in the ass, and waste of time. Never did that again.

Brent Swain, Boat designer, Builder, and author of "Origami Metal Boatbuilding"

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome