SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pros and cons of steel sailboats
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2013

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou452 View Post
Why are we calling the late Wolfenzee did he pass on ? Did he just stop posting.
Good Day, Lou
Wolf was an interesting character. He lived on an old wooden boat that he cherished madly and was fixing up with the hopes of sailing her from Port Townsend to Califonia and finding work. He had a number of medical issues and he was found DOA due to one of them at his pretty young age. R i p wolfenzee...dammit

He was at the center of a long dialogue on traditional boat design that led to an expercise where that started with the design and displacement of his boat. With Bob Perry's guidance and sage advice, and my fingers doing the drafting, the exercise showed how small tweaks could be done to improve the sailing ability of his boat without changing the hull much but modernizing the rig, rudder, and keel.

Bob Perry's take on Wolfenzee's dream boat

Then the same displacement was used to create a similar sized but more modern cruiser.

Lastly, we took the same displacement and drew up a boat that would be reasonably modern and would be a boat that I personally would like to own.

May David (Wolfenzee) rest in peace, or at least sail through a heavenly place where old luggers are faster than anything else they encounter,

Jeff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Curmudgeon at Large- and rhinestone in the rough, sailing my Farr 11.6 on the Chesapeake Bay