SailNet Community - View Single Post - 100 amp Alternator recommendation needed
View Single Post
Old 03-17-2007

yachtplanb is on a distinguished road
Thanks for all the replies. I plan to use all wet cells and they will be located under the seatte in the pilot house to ensure I have them way above flood level to provide me with the most run time in case the bilge starts to take on water and it will be easy to service them there.

I have not determined what my final house load and subsequently house bank will be, but plan to install a diesel gen set once everything else is done and will size appropriately. I suspect in the 600-750 AH range. Probably a 6 KW generator unit to help run the a/c. We are here in the tropics and it does get hot if we have to shut up the vents to keep the mosquitos out. I will use the genset to drive the invertor/charger or will use a PTO for a high output DC charger on it. In any case the 100 amp alternator in question will be used to primarly charge the starting bank and the house bank only while underway. At anchor I will use the gen set and keep the wear off the main engine. I have a huge bilge area so lots of room for a gen set and I can still walk around it. One reason I bought the boat I did. This will also give me several options for charging the batteries at anchor as well.

Thanks for all the info, if anyone else has any additional information they are willing to share regarding brands of alternators they are happy with please let me know.

Again I really appreciate the info.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook