SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best U.S. city for sailing, living aboard, working
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2013

saldrich is on a distinguished road
Re: Best U.S. city for sailing, living aboard, working

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
Basically, as I see it, you need a place that has three qualities:

1) You can sail year round. There are decent places to sail to for one night, a weekend, a week. The wind is such that you can reliably sail, instead of motor, most of the time. There is an active community to cruise and/or race. There are reliable marine services.
2) You can get into a decent marina that allows live-aboards without having to wait for a year. There are other live-aboards there, so a sense of community. You can get decent wifi and other facilities: laundry, clean showers, nearby groceries and other services.
3) You can easily find a job within a reasonable driving distance that pays competitive wages. There is decent public transportation available from the marina or you have a car and you can keep it nearby.

#1 and #2 are fairly fixed, but it does to some extent, as others have noted, depend on your climate preference. #3 is completely dependent on what you do for a living.

IMHO, any place with "real" winter fails test #1. San Fran, and other places, fail #2. I am especially sad about this, because SF seems like one of the best sailing cities in the US and I am a computer programmer, so jobs are plentiful. Sounds like finding a decent live-aboard marina is not going to happen.

Tell us what you do for a living, and we will give you much better answers.

I do construction work.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook