SailNet Community - View Single Post - Survey say's.......
View Single Post
post #36 of Old 12-21-2013
Re: Survey say's.......

Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
i never refuse payment in advance of the report but do not require it. I issue the report in a locked draft format by email that may be read but not printed. No bank or insurance company will accept a report in this format
(like the survey sample reports on my website).

This serves two purposes, one - it proves i have done the work and now deserve payment. Two - it gives me a chance to make corrections (yes ! I do occasionally make mistakes) and provide more detail if an issue is not understood.

I have done insurance surveys for people who don't want to pay me when they find they cannot get insurance due to problems i have discovered and reported on..... It's my fault they can't insure an unsafe boat !

On occasion i have found it hard to collect on pre-purchase surveys because i found enough issues that the buyer walks and decides he shouldn't have to pay because he did not buy the boat (twisted logic).

over the years i have taken about 12 people to small claims court to get paid. Curiously (or not ) all but one was a lawyer. If i find out my client is a lawyer, this is the only time i want cash up front, no cheques thank you

Bing! Bing! Bing! Winner!!!
Quote Share with Facebook
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome