SailNet Community - View Single Post - Charter Vs. Buying
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2002

Snap is on a distinguished road
Charter Vs. Buying

Please let me apologize to any and all (and especially to Dana125) who may have had their sensibilities maligned by my post regarding chartering vs. purchasing and then reselling. I certainly meant no harm.

In my comment I assumed that davejam was, in fact, seeking rental advice, not long-term ownership advice. He made no mention of wanting to shoulder the normal responsibilities that generally attend boat ownership nor did he say that he was interested in assuming the commitment it generally takes to own and maintain a sailboat. He simply asked if he would be better off, financially speaking, if he chartered for four months or bought, sailed and then sold at the end of four months. Having owned and maintained several boats, I certainly would not consider owning a sailboat for four months a commitment to boat ownership and would, if given to labeling, liken it more to dealing in "property" leasing. For that reason I felt that he would be much better off, renting, enjoying just the "fun" aspects of boating (although I enjoy the work too) and then turning the boat back over to the leasing company to worry with all the other parts of owning and maintaining.

In my apparently rather feeble attempt to interject some levity into the posts, I have succeeded only in being abrasive. For that I am sincerely sorry and, again, offer an apology to those so offended. FWIW, the comment I quoted was one that was stated by a fellow crewmember and, although not his, came following several failed marriages and some rather large monetary losses involving aircraft and boat ownership; innocently offered by me but probably not appropriate for this Message Board. I accept reproval.

Snap
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook