SailNet Community - View Single Post - UAV Recon Possibility
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2013
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road
Re: UAV Recon Possibility

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
Putting a depth sounder on a RC boat with some telemetry to feed back the depths feels like it would be more useful.

It could be made to zig zag ahead of the mother ship and show actual depths on an overlay on the chart plotter.

This would save quite a few groundings if used on the south coast of Grenada alone.

Me, I guess I will still be standing up and looking over the dodger while I enter on a day with good light.
A year or two ago I wrote about a couple we met that had done exactly that with a Hummingbird Wireless Fish Finder of the type one casts out with a fishing rod. It was installed in the hull of a modest sized RC boat that the lady controlled from the bow where she could give directions to her husband at the helm via a Cruising Solutions wireless headset. The arrangement seemed to work pretty well.

The UAV I referenced would be good for checking out anchorages and other spots and could also be used in conjunction with the wireless fish finder in a UFV (unmanned floating vehicle) or even in a "dipping sonar" manner, just by hanging it off the UAV's skids with a length of fishing line. No?

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook