SailNet Community - View Single Post - Best U.S. city for sailing, living aboard, working
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2013

saldrich is on a distinguished road
Re: Best U.S. city for sailing, living aboard, working

Quote:
Originally Posted by RainDog View Post
I can only speak for my part of the world, but along the gulf coast you can sail year around, almost never have to motor, but it is hot in the summer. Still great sailing, just hot at the dock (need AC).

You can probably find construction work almost anywhere along the gulf, but for sure Houston (specifically Kemah/Clear Lake) has a vary active sailing community, tons of live-aboard friendly marinas, tons of jobs, lots of marine services and a low cost of living. Since there are over 10,000 slips on Clear Lake, there are also a ton of used boats for sail at any given time. Along the Gulf New Orleans and Tampa are really nice too, and have very active sailing communities. Not sure about the construction jobs.

If you prefer smaller cities, the Emerald Coast area of Florida would offer great sailing and should have lots of construction jobs.

I was just reading on this forum Texas VS Florida-As a place to live (transplants, unemployment rate) - City-Data Forum ... it sounds like Texas is a great state to live in!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook