SailNet Community - View Single Post - Chain Stopper or Chain Tensioner?
View Single Post
Old 03-19-2007
Telstar 28

sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice sailingdog is just really nice
The chain stopper is designed to take the some of the load off the windlass, but if you were using an all-chain rode, you really should be using a nylon snubber line—as I don't think a chain stopper is capable of dealing with the loads generated by an anchor rode.

However, I think that 20' is a bit short on the snubber line, since it will probably require you to bring it in and then re-locate the chain hook if you need to let out additional scope for any reason.

The chain tensioner is quite nice for holding an anchor in the roller tightly so that it doesn't rattle, but isn't designed to take much of a load. As a safety measure, I would also secure the anchor to the boat using a piece of 1/4" line or so.

The real use of a chain stopper, the top item pictured in the OP, is when you have to haul up an anchor rode and anchor by hand. It allows you to stop, change your grip on the chain and rest a bit, without having the anchor and rode return to the bottom...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Telstar 28
New England

You know what the first rule of sailing is? ...Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take
a boat to the sea you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of the worlds. Love keeps
her going when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.

—Cpt. Mal Reynolds, Serenity (edited)

If you're new to the Sailnet Forums... please read this
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Still—DON'T READ THAT POST AGAIN.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook