SailNet Community - View Single Post - 2013 Sailing Season
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2013
Chastened

BubbleheadMd will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to BubbleheadMd
Re: 2013 Sailing Season

^^ Ooooh, new canvas. Jealous!

My friend Jess and I, set out around 0930 on Saturday. Conditions in the river, ranged from "mild to wild". When that warm air from land, collided with the cold air over the water, it made for very shifty, gusty conditions. I knew this would be the case, so I played it conservative, and ran with a reef and my 100% jib.

We'd be sailing on a beat, with a warm breeze from the WSW on our faces, and suddenly, we'd be reaching with an ice cold breeze blowing over our shoulders.

Conditions in the Bay, were more stable. Wind was fairly southerly, and felt warm on our backs, as we sailed to Annapolis. On this point, the small sails felt underpowered. Although Raymarine does not recommend having their tiller pilots drive DDW, I did it anyway, to see what the tiller pilot could handle. It turns out that it did a fine job, and we had a relaxing trip to the EYC in Annapolis.

I'm 95% sure, that I passed Jeff_H on his way out. We exchanged waves.

We briefly butted against EYC's piers and grabbed an item that was waiting for me there. We observed friend out sailing in their Capri 25, so we gave chase to wave and say hello on our way back home.

At this point, the wind really seemed to pick up, and was ice cold. We bundled up in our foulies, and beat home in a tall, short chop. On this point, the small sails were a good choice. Actually, I kind of wonder if the 130% would have given me more power to get through the chop, but at least we were stable, and making 5.5, close hauled.

We arrived shortly after dark, with no problems. Next time, a thermos of hot coffee might be in order.

It was a good respite from the 20's we've been experiencing.
1973 Pearson 30 #255
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook