SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
post #5531 of Old 12-23-2013
MrPelicano

Re: Bora

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
That video with a Bora was not on the day the race took place. On the race it was windy but not that much. They say:

Boat tranfer from Portorož to Vodice for Jabuka Race 2013. Heavy weather conditions: strong "bora" wind reaching strength of 50 kts. In Croatia, cyclone was called Teodor and reached maximum of 90 kts in Kvarner Gulf.

Regards

Paulo
Windspeed of 50+ knots is a good reason to be under bare poles, if you're doing a delivery. No argument from me.

But I take it the second video is from the Jabuka Race itself? But not the same boat I believe (doesn't look like a Dufour 34 - an older boat perhaps?). Here we see them go with the storm trysail and what looks like a #4 headsail. Some accounts I read had the windspeed as high as 30 knots, during parts of the race. But that seems to me to call for a double reefed mainsail and #4 headsail, although admittedly they were sailing without a full crew.

From the several videos I've seen, I think the key to doing well in this race was having the correct sail combinations available to suit the changing conditions. In this video, when the boats were 2-sail reaching, I suspect the Seascapes and the Akilaria were able to go with a Code 0 or reaching gennaker and staysail, not simply a #2 or #3 jib. That makes a huge difference, particularly if you've got a really stiff boat.

Also suspect that many of the boats are charters - e.g., the Elan 350 class - or casual racers, not really hardcore. Some of the top finishers had Cat 3 professionals on board (the overall winner "Ola" had an IMS European Champion tactician aboard, for example). I guess what I'm saying is that it just doesn't look like the boats in these videos are being sailed hard - except the top 2 Seascapes.

Which makes you wonder: Is the owner of a First 45 feeling good about himself when he has just been crushed by a €100K 27-foot, swing keel trailer sailor? Hey, being spanked by an Akilaria RC2 not a problem - similar price point and it's a high-powered race boat. Perhaps that First 45 owner is happy because everyone on aboard was comfortable and got a hot shower, comfy berth, and microwave popcorn on watch. The Seascape guys got some candy bars and maybe hot coffee.

We deal in lead, friend.

For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome