SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2013

MrPelicano is on a distinguished road
Re: Bora

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
That video with a Bora was not on the day the race took place. On the race it was windy but not that much. They say:

Boat tranfer from Portorož to Vodice for Jabuka Race 2013. Heavy weather conditions: strong "bora" wind reaching strength of 50 kts. In Croatia, cyclone was called Teodor and reached maximum of 90 kts in Kvarner Gulf.

Regards

Paulo
Windspeed of 50+ knots is a good reason to be under bare poles, if you're doing a delivery. No argument from me.

But I take it the second video is from the Jabuka Race itself? But not the same boat I believe (doesn't look like a Dufour 34 - an older boat perhaps?). Here we see them go with the storm trysail and what looks like a #4 headsail. Some accounts I read had the windspeed as high as 30 knots, during parts of the race. But that seems to me to call for a double reefed mainsail and #4 headsail, although admittedly they were sailing without a full crew.

From the several videos I've seen, I think the key to doing well in this race was having the correct sail combinations available to suit the changing conditions. In this video, when the boats were 2-sail reaching, I suspect the Seascapes and the Akilaria were able to go with a Code 0 or reaching gennaker and staysail, not simply a #2 or #3 jib. That makes a huge difference, particularly if you've got a really stiff boat.

Also suspect that many of the boats are charters - e.g., the Elan 350 class - or casual racers, not really hardcore. Some of the top finishers had Cat 3 professionals on board (the overall winner "Ola" had an IMS European Champion tactician aboard, for example). I guess what I'm saying is that it just doesn't look like the boats in these videos are being sailed hard - except the top 2 Seascapes.

Which makes you wonder: Is the owner of a First 45 feeling good about himself when he has just been crushed by a €100K 27-foot, swing keel trailer sailor? Hey, being spanked by an Akilaria RC2 not a problem - similar price point and it's a high-powered race boat. Perhaps that First 45 owner is happy because everyone on aboard was comfortable and got a hot shower, comfy berth, and microwave popcorn on watch. The Seascape guys got some candy bars and maybe hot coffee.